Why we Exist
Catapult Ministries exists to advance discipleship. Our objective is to reinforce traditional aspects of discipleship with relevant perspectives that address what it means to make followers of Christ in our culture. We are focused on developing disciplers.
We desire to see people grow in awareness that God has not only called us into a relationship with Him, but He has uniquely shaped, gifted and positioned us to serve Him for His glory.
What we Do
Develop and equip disciplers.
Despite the wealth of Biblical information available today, mature believers often feel inadequate or unprepared to disciple others. We develop perspectives for disciplers to better understand the meaning, the materials and the methods of effective discipleship.
Engage and encourage influencers.
Our Influencers Forums provide an opportunity for men to interact and network on ways to pursue more effective ministry in their spheres of influence. A Bible study series (Influencers/In His Service) has been designed to help people make the connection between God’s work in their lives and their opportunities for ministry.
We are developing resources that we believe will advance discipleship and engage believers to consider ministry opportunities where God has placed them. Materials are available in .pdf formats that can be downloaded free of charge.
Who we Are
Tom Petersburg gives leadership to Catapult Ministries. He previously served as a staff member of Cru and Athletes In Action for 40 years, including eight years in campus ministry and 32 years as a chaplain to professional sports teams in Cleveland. Although the majority of his career was focused on discipling athletes and equipping them to utilize their platform, his ministry extended to coaches, businessmen and ministry leaders.
His ministry through Cru was followed by two years as Pastor of Ministry Development in a local church. Tom earned a Master’s Degree in Pastoral Ministries from Ashland Theological Seminary.
Tom and his wife Jo Anne have shared both life and ministry since 1973. They have two married children and three grandchildren. Jo Anne’s ministry is focused on studying, writing and teaching women’s Bible studies.
Catapult Ministries launched in 2014. It is the product of:
• 40 years of discipling men who have confirmed the time-tested principles of discipleship.
• faithful men who allowed God to work in and through them to advance His Kingdom.
• ministry investors who have supported and encouraged Tom and Jo Anne since 1971.
Catapult Ministries’ Board
These men give direction to Catapult Ministries, share the vision, refine the materials and utilize Catapult resources to serve Christ in their own sphere of influence.
- Donald Betz
Sherwin Williams, Associate Director, Raw Material Technology
- Tom Petersburg
Catapult Ministries, Founder
- Jeff Stinson
Cleveland Research Company, Director of Research
- Jay Whitmer
Cleveland Research Company, Partner
When I met Tom 10 years ago, I was immediately drawn to his ability to connect with and lead men of significant influence and position. His passion for the Gospel and discipleship continues to inspire and challenge me to do likewise. I particularly appreciate Tom’s hunger to cultivate and unleash leaders among leaders, whether through personal guidance and direction or through his discipleship materials and gatherings. I am truly blessed to partner with him to advance the kingdom through Catapult Ministries. –Jay Whitmer
What we Believe
1. THE BIBLE: We believe the Bible, all sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, to be the only infallible, authoritative Word of God, without error in the original writings. We believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of the Scriptures. (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21).
2. THE TRINITY: We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each identical in nature, equal in power and glory, and having precisely the same divine attributes. (Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14; John 4:24).
3. GOD THE FATHER: We believe that God the Father is the holy and loving Creator of all things. The Father is without limits with respect to time, space, knowledge, and power, and has planned all that comes to pass (Psalm 139: 1-16; 1 Corinthians 8:6; John 5:17).
4. GOD THE SON, JESUS CHRIST: We believe in…
• the full deity and full humanity of Jesus Christ (John 1:1-14, Hebrews 1:3-5, 2:5-18),
• His virgin birth (Luke 1:26-38),
• His sinless life (2 Corinthians 5:21, Hebrews 4:15),
• His miracles (John 10:31-38),
• His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood (Romans 3:24-25),
• His bodily resurrection (John 20:1-31, Acts 1:1-3, 1 Corinthians 15:1-8),
• His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Acts 1:4-11),
• His present rule as Head of the Church (Ephesians 1:22, 5:23, Colossians 1:18), and
• His personal return in power and glory (Revelation 19:11-16, 22:7-21).
5. GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT: We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, who gives believers new life, places them into the Body of Christ, seals them until the Day of Redemption, and indwells and empowers them to live a godly life (Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12:12-14; Ephesians 1:13-14, Galatians 5:22-25).
6. HUMANITY: We believe that all human beings are created in the image of God as descendants of Adam and Eve (Genesis 1:25-27; 3:20; 4:1).
7. SIN: We believe that all the descendants of Adam are separated from God by sin and rebellion (Romans 3:22-23; 5:12-21; Ephesians 2:1-3, 12).
8. SALVATION: We believe that salvation is the gift of God offered to all humanity by grace, received through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and based on the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8-10; Romans 3:21-26).
9. THE CHURCH: We believe that the Body of Christ on earth consists of a spiritual community of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equal access to the Biblical blessings of salvation across races, genders and classes (1Corinthians 12:12-14; Ephesians 1:22-23; 3:6; 5:25-27; Colossians 3:11).
10. THE FUTURE: We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost: the lost will be raised unto eternal punishment and separation from God and the saved unto eternal life (Matthew 25:31-46, 1 Corinthians 15:42-57; Revelation 20:11-15; 22:3-5, 11).